Monday, February 11, 2008

Migraine's STINK!

I spent my entire day yesterday trying to cope with a migraine. It started just as I woke up and looked at my clock. Hmm... couldn't see the face of the clock. Stretch... Adjust... look again, fuzzy right down the middle. Panic sets in.

I get an aura with my migraines, and though I am grateful for the warning so I can get medicine as quickly as possible, it literally causes a panic attack the moment I recognize it. For any who may not know what an aura is, it starts similar to when you look at too bright of a light. There is just a spot in the middle of your vision. However, the tiny spot grows and expands into lines of what seem to be flashing lights in the middle of your line of vision. They grow and move out into your peripheral vision until they disappear. It is truly a disturbing experience all by itself, but for me, in addition, I know that my head is about to take on a blow that feels like a backpack full of bricks as well. So, instead of just an annoying disturbance, I feel PANIC.

So, I go down the stairs, grab Excedrin, then remember, "CRAP!!! I can only take Tylenol!" Excedrin has aspirin in it and, you guessed it, thats off limits with pregnancy. URG. I take my tylenol fully realizing that it won't do a darn thing, then sulkingly make my way back to bed. I told my husband I was getting a migraine, and put a pillow over my head to try to ignore anything else that might happen that morning.

The worst part was that since I had just woken up from a good night's sleep, I couldn't fall back asleep. Instead I got to hide under my pillow and experience the full force of the experience called a migraine. Lights, sounds, smells, pretty much anything make me nauseous, and my head feel like its about to explode. . .

Once again, I know I am lucky, because most of my migraines only last between 4-6 hours. This one was no exception. About 4 hours after the start, I was able to at least pull myself out of bed to go get some breakfast. The cruel irony of my day yesterday was that I had a second episode. Mid afternoon, my vision went nuts again, and a full force blow followed soon after. Sometimes life is ironic, sometimes its just cruel.

Anyone know of any natural remedies for migraines safe during pregnancy? I've heard celery works for some people, but I really hate celery, I'm not sure I could stomach it with the nausea my migraines cause anyway. Any advice is welcome!

4 comments:

moesewco said...

I taught 5 piano students yesterday, four of them had headaches, I had a mild migraine and so did my first student. Weird. Apparently all of their teachers also had headaches. I'm thinking it's a weather thing.

Ice pack on the back of your neck is definitely ok for pregnancy.

earth and sun folk said...

i'm so sorry! how horrible it is to have a migraine...especially while pregnant :(
i have this all natural liquid that you rub on your temples. it really helps me, as i'm allergic to everything over the counter. it's called M-Grain...from what i can decipher off the tattered label...ingredients are:lavender,peppermint, roman chamomile and heichrysym?? i found it at an all natural food store. hope today is better for you!

Corrine said...

i'm sorry i get them a lot especially when there is a lot of noise. I get the spots too! Can't stand it.

When I was pregnant my doctor told me to take a benadryl and two tylenol. It knocked it out. I do that now too.

I don't know if you tried documenting your migraines with foods, but I get them if I have had too much sugar...

Also I GOT MY PICTURE TODAY!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH IT IS GORGEOUS> I AM GOING TO TAKE A PICTURE OF IT HANGING ABOVE MY BED AND POST IT ON MY BLOG>>>sorry for the all caps! but I love it!

Michelle said...

I get migraines, too, so I know how you feel...but, it has to really suck that you can't take anything since you are pregnant! Wish I knew something that would help...I have heard that lavender is helpful (like the essential oil, not the plant). I've never tried it, but I read somewhere that dabbing it somewhere near where you can smell it (but not too strongly) can help. You could also try putting an ice pack on your head--sounds silly, but that sometimes helps me.

Hope the migraines stay away!