Wednesday, May 27, 2009

To post or not to post...

...that is the question. I'm SO angry right now. Shocked, disappointed, and astounded. It doesn't make sense. I was SO sure about this.

Back in December, Benson applied for a job with the federal reserve board. The job description was a perfect fit for his skill set. In fact, this is copy/pasted from the job description:

Qualifications

Individuals interested in a career as an analyst should have a degree in business administration with concentration in accounting or finance, and experience in financial analysis as it relates to banking. Knowledge of the laws and regulations governing banks and bank holding companies is preferred. A master’s degree is required for most higher-level positions.


check, check and check. He was applying for an entry level job, so the masters degree isn't really applicable. He had a former co-worker, and a good friend (2 people) who both work there vouching for him. He has such high integrity and is seriously the hardest worker I've ever met. That says alot. When he decides to do something, he gives it 150%. His co-worker and friend knew this, and recommended him to everyone they knew there.


The interview went perfectly. Perfect. No, "well, I wish I'd had a better answer to..." Everything was great. Conversations came easy, his past experience was a perfect fit to the questions they were asking about how he would fit in. No regrets. None.


So, to them I say:


where did things go wrong?! There were 15 positions and 30 candidates. How could you possibly give all those positions away? You had great references for him, he has exactly the experience you want, he's been on the bank side of these exams for 3 years! COME ON!! TWO of your employees have verified that he would be a good fit! What was so horrible that you could disregard that?

ITS NOT FAIR!!!!!!!! You read him a form letter about how his qualifications were not a good match. Thats bull. If anything, he is over-qualified, and if that is the case, you should tell him so. Not belittle him by saying it was a hard decision, but other candidates were better qualified. You've got it wrong. You made the wrong choice. You need to call him back.


%#$@#$.

11 comments:

Liz Smith said...

oh man, cheryl and benson, i'm so sorry. we were so sure about it too! i'm shocked. i wish there was something we could do to ease the blow. :( :( :( i hope that something else that's even better will come along. im so so so sorry. :(

Hillary Monroe said...

So sorry! Unfortunately I know how disappointing those situations are. Hang in there. The Lord knows your struggles and knows your needs. He will provide Benson with a job that will provide for your family. I can't believe I'M saying this: We have to be patient right now.

Weston and William's Blog said...

oh Cheryl, this is just horrible. Raymond and I feel so bad :( We know how much you guys wanted this job, and Raymond thought for sure Benson would get it :( I can't believe the phone call that he got. How rude. We're so, so sorry :(

Generational stitcher said...

I'm so sorry!

fluoxetine said...

That sucks. But then, I think it serves a grim reminder of a lesson I learned going from job to job until I landed this one: that no matter what qualifications they put down, the bottom line is that the average employer has no real idea what he's looking for, and only knows what he's not.

Celeste Christensen said...

I am so sorry. I know you were counting on this. I am sure the Lord has a plan.

silverthorne said...

I am so sorry Cheryl! I just read your blog and I couldn't even believe what I was reading. Hang in there. We love you and we will always be here for you!

Julie said...

Oh how frustrating! I really hope something even better comes along, you guys deserve it!

Karena said...

I'm so sorry! Things are so upsidedown right now and good people are suffering for it. Remember that you are still in our prayers...and there are more people praying for you thatn you realize.

Unknown said...

Oh I am so sorry. That's so frustarting. I would be angry too. It's hard as a wife when you want it just as much as they do. Would this job taken you to Washington? Patience is truly a virtue, for which, I have NONE! Hang in there though. For some reason, it wasn't meant to be, but why???

Corrine said...

those letters suck and I am sorry! I feel your pain!! and totally can relate!