Thursday, July 28, 2011

Some things never change

Some things never change, isn't that great!!  This weekend I got to meet up with my old college roommate and her family.  It had been about 8 years since we last saw each other, but before we moved apart, we we nearly inseparable.  :)  Its amazing to me how so much time can pass, and it doesn't seem to matter.  We stayed up much too late catching up and reminiscing.  I think that must be what heaven will be like.  Good friends sharing their joys and trials and what they've learned.  Here's a few pictures from our adventures in Nauvoo, IL where we met up.

Our families have expanded quite a bit in the last few years.  The kids got along great, which made the whole weekend that much more fun.  It was rewarding to see the kids bond the way we had years before.  :)


And Nauvoo was just as fun as it has been every time we have gone. The kids love the pioneer pastimes area. 
 





 The group went on a wagon ride without me, since I've developed an allergy to horses that has only ever manifested itself on that same wagon ride in the past.  Call me a party pooper if you will, but I prefer breathing to a wagon ride anyday. 

We were afraid the pageant was going to be rained out.  I teased Benson that it looked like the Heavens were not as happy with this new pageant.  We came to expect miracles there, the sky's always seemed to clear in time for the show.  Well, it may not be the City of Joseph pageant, but I suppose the Lord is happy with this new pageant as well because the sky cleared just in time for the show to go on. 

We also visited many of the pioneer homes.  We stopped by the blacksmith's shop and got our prairie diamonds and the brick yard to get our Nauvoo brick.  I always enjoy hearing the history the missionaries share.  Those pioneers went through so much during that time.

On Tuesday we went to Carthage. 


There is always such a special spirit there.  My kids are blessed to claim both survivors of that day as ancestors.  Willard Richards saved John Taylor's life... and it is through their lineage that we are here today.  Pretty cool.

So Nauvoo was cool and spending time with my good friend was priceless.  Hoping its not another 8 years before we can align the stars and meet up again.  Thanks for a great weekend Mer!!

1 comment:

Kim W said...

Isn't that the BEST feeling when you just continue a friendship as if they live right next door. I know we're family, but I always feel that way with you guys. Great pictures here!!! You make me miss you all the more!